Office of the Chief
On January 31, 2011, Brian J. Klimakowski became the 5th Chief of Police in the history of the Manchester Township Police, having done so after nearly 24 years of distinguished service. Chief Klimakowski began his career in law enforcement at the age of 19, starting as a police dispatcher in 1987. Approximately one year later, Chief Klimakowski was hired as a patrolman and was assigned to the department’s Patrol Division. In 1998, he was assigned to the department’s Detective Bureau where he quickly earned a reputation as an astute and thorough investigator. In 2000, Chief Klimakowski was promoted to the rank of Sergeant and returned to the Patrol Division as a shift supervisor. In 2002, Chief Klimakowski was once again promoted, this time to the rank of lieutenant, where he was assigned as the commander of the department’s Investigative Division. Chief Klimakowski’s record of promotions continued in 2007, when he was promoted to the rank of Captain. As Captain, Chief Klimakowski served as the Patrol Division Commander as well was the head of the department’s Office of Professional Standards. Upon the retirement of Chief William C. Brase in January of 2011, Brian J. Klimakowski was sworn in as both the Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police.
Chief Klimakowski, who spent most of his life as a resident of Manchester Township, moved here with his family in 1977. He attended school in town and subsequently graduated from the Manchester Township High School in 1986. At the age of fourteen, Chief Klimakowski joined the Manchester Township First Aid Squad and served ten years as a volunteer, becoming the youngest Captain in Squad history. At the age of sixteen, he began working as a lifeguard for the Township’s Recreation Department and did so until he was hired as a police dispatcher three years later.
Chief Klimakowski, a strong proponent and steadfast advocate of higher education, has an Associate in Science degree in Criminal Justice from the Ocean County College, a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Administration from Fairleigh Dickinson University and is currently completing his Masters of Administrative Science in Global Leadership and Administration, also from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Chief Klimakowski is a graduate of the West Point Command and Leadership program, is a Certified Public Manager (CPM) and is a Certified Law Enforcement Executive (CLEE).
In addition to the everyday duties of the Chief of Police, he is responsible for the following duties within the Division:
- The establishment and maintenance of efficient operation of the Police Division.
- The organization, control and maintenance of all property and resources within the Division.
- The development of the written organizational structure of the Division to include the chain of command as well as all duty assignments.
- The development and implementation of all directives necessary to govern the day-to-day operations of the Police Division.
- The maintenance of overall discipline within the Division.
- The maintenance of constructive relationships with the public, community
- organizations, the media and other law enforcement agencies.
- The preparation and submittal of annual budgets and proposed expenditure programs to the appropriate authority or other designated officials.
- The allocation of funds within the budget which have been appropriated by the governing body.
Contact: Chief Brian J. Klimakowski 732-657-2009 ext. 4100